Applications are now closed. A new poet laureate will be chosen and announced in the coming weeks. Stay tuned. Thank you to all that applied.
The application for Vallejo Poet Laureate was due November 15th. Follow in the footsteps of Vallejo Poet Laureate – Genea Brice, D.L. Lang, Poet Laureate of Vallejo, CA, 2017-2019, and our current Vallejo Poet Laureate Jeremy Snyder and represent Vallejo in the poetry community. Please spread the word and share with any local poets you think would be interested. Paper copies will be available soon at Alibi Bookshop – Vallejo, CA and the JFK library in downtown Vallejo. It will also be available online at the Vallejo Center for the Arts website vallejoarts.org which is the official organization that sponsors the poet laureate program. Vallejo Poetry Society is just providing this article to spread the word.
Text of application images below provided for accessibility purposes:
VALLEJO POET LAUREATE CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
The Poet Laureate is dedicated to building community through poetry and encouraging a love of poetry among people of all ages.
The Poet Laureate is appointed by the Vallejo Center for the Arts and is recognized by the City of Vallejo.
The mission of the Poet Laureate is to promote the influence of poetry and enrich the lives of citizens by sharing and encouraging the gift of poetry.
- Contribute to the growth of poetry in Vallejo by organizing and leading poetry activities, events and readings of the Poet Laureate’s choosing. At least one such event must be in partnership with Alibi Bookshop, Karen Finlay proprietor.
- Partner with Vallejo’s JFK Library for 1) at least one poetry reading event, and 2) the monthly Poetry in Motion (a poetry circle where people read poems to each other). Both shall be organized and coordinated jointly by the Poet Laureate and library staff.
- Attend area literary events.
- Perform at government, civic and school events as requested.
- Admirable and proven level of skill in writing poetry.
- Promising aptitude to engage Vallojoans of all ages and in all our diversity in the awareness and enjoyment of poetry.
- Must be 21 or older.
- Must be a resident of Vallejo
The term of service is two years, from January 1, 2024 to December 31, 2025. The Poet Laureate will also join the committee in the search for a successor to the position at the end of the term. No remuneration is offered for the Poet Laureate position.
A general call for applications is made. The application will be available at www.vallejoarts.org and paper copies will be available at JFK Library and Alibi Bookshop.
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed application form, including the binding statement assuring that the poems are original and materials submitted are true
- Work sample not to exceed 5 pages, one poem per page.
- Resume or curriculum vitae, not to exceed two pages, including applicant’s experience with poetry and poetry events.
- Audio or video recording of the applicant presenting their original poetry, not to exceed five minutes.
- Explanation of what applicant would do in the role of Poet Laureate, not to exceed 1 page.
All materials should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: 11/15/2023
- For questions, contact: Jeff Kingman email@example.com
- Preferred pronouns:
- City, State, Zip Code:
Are you 21 or older? Yes or no
Have you resided in the Vallejo area for at least one year? Yes or no
I certify that the representations made in this application are true and complete, and that the work sample submitted is my own work. I grant permission to use my work, or a portion thereof, for publicity or educational purposes.
Applicant’s Signature and Date: ________________________________________